Baker Bowl Home Stadium Era
The crumbling brick fortress where the Curse of Billy Penn first took hold.
Located in South Philadelphia near Broad and Tasker Streets, this brick stadium defined the franchise's early identity amidst decades of struggle before their first pennant win.
- Location
- South Philadelphia
- Demolition Year
- 1938
- Notable Superstition
- Curse of Billy Penn
Lore & Background
Despite the gloom surrounding the 'Curse,' the stadium hosted historic moments like the 1915 National League pennant race. Legends such as Grover Cleveland Alexander donned the Phillies uniform on this dirt diamond before being traded to Chicago. The structure eventually became unsafe, with crumbling masonry posing risks to spectators in the stands.
In Their Own Story
The air smelled of coal dust and peanuts as the crowd pressed against the turnstiles. Inside, the brick walls hummed with the chatter of thousands, echoing every crack of the bat toward City Hall. A young fan shielded his eyes from the sun, watching the pitcher warm up on the mound, unaware that this crumbling ground would soon vanish into history.
Reader's Guide
During these early decades, the team struggled through the Dead Ball Era, often finishing near the bottom of the National League standings. The stadium's proximity to Philadelphia City Hall gave rise to the famous Curse of Billy Penn, a superstition born when fans felt the statue’s gaze hindered their success. A turning point arrived in 1915 when the Phillies finally captured their first National League pennant at the Bowl. However, they fell short against the Boston Red Sox in the World Series, cementing the stadium's reputation as a place of near-misses rather than triumphs. Legends like Grover Cleveland Alexander pitched on this diamond before moving to other clubs, carrying memories of the dusty infield home. As the years wore on, the brick structure deteriorated significantly. The Bowl was demolished shortly after, ending an era defined by grit, superstition, and the long wait for a championship that would not arrive until decades later.
Did You Know?
- The stadium was named after its original owner, George W. Baker.
- It was one of the few ballparks in the league with such high brick walls surrounding the field.
- The Phillies lost their first World Series appearance from this home field in 1915.
- Demolition began immediately after the final season ended due to structural instability.
More in Club History & Eras
Elsewhere in the Philadelphia Phillies universe
Spotted an error? Know more?
This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record
